Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
STOP reading if you haven’t read Parts I-II.
Uhhhhh. So I’m well aware that it’s not too common that a fan falls under only one type. Oh, and lets assume that every single superhero fan watches superhero movies.
There is the:
Superhero Video Game/T.V. Show Fan: This guy just doesn’t like reading. He/she frustrates most reading-based fans because his knowledge of superheroes matches their knowledge or in some cases is even superior. This guy looks like a douche if he gets into little superhero jousts since he cannot site anything but video games and T.V. show episodes. That being said, every type of fan has potential to be a douche. These people aren’t satisfied with just watching superhero T.V. shows and movies, they need to BE the superhero. So he/she plays video games after their shows and talks to him or herself, pretending as if they ARE the superhero.
Avid Reader/Wikipedia Whore: This person wins. He…he just usually…he wins, okay? He loves comics/graphic novels and turns to Wiki whenever a foreign character is introduced. He is well-informed about every aspect of superheroes and has big huevos (Translation: Big balls).
Avid Reader/Toy Collector: This guy is a mother fu#king hoarder. Comics lace the walls, graphic novels lace the floors, and toys are scattered EVERYWHERE. He/she flaunts the fact that he/she loves superheroes and will only date a girl/boy who shares similar interests (Mostly because they would pass out if they came into this fan’s house).
The next two are all-around fans meaning that they have a bit of every type in them:
• The Stereotypical Nerd: I don’t mean to offend anyone. Uhm, so this guy was the kid that people picked on. He never hid his true colors (probably because it was very difficult to). These kids probably hated high school…but then upon graduation realized that life isn’t as bad as it seemed. They hold good, honorable jobs and are proud of who they are. I envy this type of fan.
• The “Cool” Fan: This guy loved high school. He was super popular and rocked superhero apparel. This type of fan is NECESSARY. He attracts potential superhero fans by making it seem like being a “nerd” is cool. If it’s a male, this guy dresses well, is charismatic, and very knowledgeable in different aspects of the “superhero.” If it’s a girl, she looks sexy in superhero-inspired outfits; she’s charismatic, and also very knowledgeable in different aspects of superheroism. These fans are needed to spread one important fact: SUPERHEROES ARE AWESOME. Without these fans, our species would cease to exist.
The next few are undesireables in my opinion:
• The Arrogant Fan: I could care less if these fans know EVERYTHING there is to know about superheroes, the moment they place themselves above me, I stop listening. Sadly these fans account for 30% of the superhero fan population.
• The Ignorant Fan: These are fine if they just listen and ask questions…
• The Prejudice Fan: These guys are the ones that say things like “MARVEL IS BETTER THAN DC DURRRR” or “Wooooowwww Marvel superheroes suck.” Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine to favor one over the other. It’s just that…I encourage you (if you’re one of these people) to read some comics that belong to the company that you “hate” with an open mind. I guarantee if you do this, you’ll start to realize that both companies have some good sh#t. Hell, try expanding your horizons to other publications like Dark Horse or Top Cow. Don’t be a two-dimensional simpleton, please.
This one was fun to write. It was inspired by my family and the varying levels of fandom within. If you’re interested, I’ll tell you about them in my next post. Thanks for reading guys, hope it was enjoyable. Message me and stuff.